Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Second Life

Today was the first time I have had a chance to interact with SJSU folks via Second Life and I have to say that I really can't wait to try it from my home computer. My computer at the office doesn't quite have the required memory needed to run the program and so I experienced lag of horrific proportions.

In my first experience with SL, I was completely on my own and just exploring. Today, I had a chance to chat with one of my professors and some other students on SJSU Island. It is so fascinating! I'm really looking forward to trying out some of the classes and interacting more with my peers. "Standing" there chatting with everyone, it certainly didn't feel like we were on separate coasts. I admit I've missed the camaraderie that comes along with being in an on-site course that has a specific meeting time. While in SL today I learned about some in-game events and activities that other SLIS students take part in and I really felt like part of the campus.

Hopefully at some point during my courses, time and finances will allow me to take a trip to San Jose to see where I actually go to school. For now though, this seems like a really great way to start feeling more connected to my colleagues.

Took a couple of in-game snapshots, but this one is my favorite so far. Here I am hanging out with my professor and fellow classmate. They have some awesome bling, no?

If you think their bracelets are neat, you should see the rave pole!

It's true folks, librarians know how to party.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment